Monday 19 August 2013

Going green - a simplistic approach to Chroma Key

After a Summer School session recently I attended a demo of Chroma Key - superimposing one video shot on another, eliminating the background of one shot and substituting the second shot as the new background. This is done by shooting the first shot against a green (or sometimes blue) screen - hence the alternative term "green screen". The green area is then subtracted in software - either "on the fly" as in the UWE setup, or in later editing.
This started me thinking what minimal facilities could achieve this effect, so I experimented with shooting the "front" video using my Android phone against the evenly lit UWE green background material. I then shot the second scene outside, again with the mobile phone.

I combined the two shots in my editing software (Corel VideoStudio 12), and this is the result:


The alignment isn't perfect, but it demonstrates what you can do with a mobile phone, an evenly lit background and the right software.

No comments:

Post a Comment